What is Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter and How to Install and Solve Issues? [Fixed]
Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter is a technology that aids in computer networking. It helps the IPv-6 capable hosts that do not have native IPv-6 connection but instead present in IPv-4 internet. This is done by providing full IPv-6 connectivity to the IPv-6 capable hosts. It might be confusing for many who are not familiar with fancy terms such as IPv-4 and IPv-6. In this post, we will explain in simple terms all about this transition technology. In addition, you will learn how to install this application in your PC.
IPv-4 and IPv-6
Internet is nothing but connection of networks all over the world. Each connection has a unique address by which it is identified. This unique address is given by the IP Protocol called IPv-4. However, the increase in internet usage has resulted in the scarcity of IP addresses. Many people are using the internet nowadays due to technological advancements. As a solution to this issue, IPv-6 was introduced. This Internet protocol version 6 is capable of providing innumerable addresses. Hence, it solves the problem of IP address shortage.
What is the role of Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter?
IPv-6 has resolved the issue with assigning new IP addresses to networks. However, it poses a problem, which is that network connectivity. Network with IPv-4 has to connect with IPv-6. For this, we need some transition technology, which can interpret the different languages of IPv-4 and IPv-6. This technology is nothing but Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter.
How does it work?
The adapter works by identifying the type of NAT present in an IPv-4 network. Then it actually gives the host using the adapter a unique IPv6 address. This address can be used globally for routing purposes. To transmit the IPv6 packets to IPv4 network, it encapsulates them in UDPv4 datagrams. It is an interesting process and if you want to install this adapter continue reading the post.
How to install Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter?
To install “Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter” in your Windows 7, follow the steps given below. Windows 7 has the adapter already built-in it. Therefore, you just have to follow the instructions to install it.
Step by Step Instructions to Install Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
- First, Device manager has to be opened and then press Network Adapters.
- After opening it, “Network Adapters” has to be selected.
- After you click upon network adapters, pick the Action tab found at the top.
- You will find “Add Legacy Hardware” in the action tab and please click on it.
- Then, you will have to select Next and next again and Next again. This will lead you to Common Hardware types and click it.
- You will be displayed a lot of options and by scrolling down, click “Network Adapters”. Then select “Next” to go to “add hardware”.
- Now, you have to select Microsoft from the manufacturer tab and Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter from the Network Adapter tab.
- Upon selecting, you will have to click the option “Next”.
- Finally click next again.
- In the end, you will have to click upon “Finish” to install the adapter.
What to do if you cannot find Teredo Adapter in Network Adapters?
In case you cannot find the Teredo Adapter, then there is a way in which you can enable it. We have given the steps for that method below. Please follow it carefully to enable teredo adapter in your PC.
- In the first step, open a run command by pressing both Windows key and R.
- Then enter “cmd” and press control plus shift and enter.
- Now open up an elevated command prompt by selecting yes at the user account control prompt.
- After entering the elevated command prompt, type “netsh interface Teredo set state disable”.
- This will disable the teredo interface and you can close the prompt now.
- Then rebooting your computer is necessary.
- Again, after computer starts, open elevated command prompt yet again.
- In it, please type in “netsh interface Teredo set state type₌default” and click enter command.
- Now you can go to device manager and look if the teredo adapter is enabled.
Hope you have a better understanding of what is Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter by reading our post! Follow the simple steps given in our post to install this adapter in your device.